Sunday 12 June 2022

Mola Mola Off the point and Tursiops off the Breakwater

Mola Mola Off the point and Tursiops off the Breakwater or to put in plain terms, Sunfish off the point and Bottlenose Dolphin off the breakwater. This is the earliest I've seen a Sunfish off Strumble and what a beauty it was too. At least a metre long but that didn't stop me thinking it was a drifting plastic bag for twenty minutes or so. It was only as I was scanning around with the binos that I recognised it as a Sunfish. Note to self "Investigate everything".






 Sadly there were no Porpoise to be seen at Strumble but when I returned to Goodwick I got a call from Cliff to say Dolphin had been reported off the breakwater. Off I went again then and as I arrived at the breakwater I could see two dolphin making their way out toward Pen Anglas. A quick stop and I managed a few shots before they went out of range. I could see several small sail boats with two ribs in attendance off the end of the breakwater so I thought they may have caused the dolphin to move on. I thought I'd go out anyway as there's always a photo op with bright sails etc. When I got there I was surprised to see three Bottlenose calmly milling around and not bothered by the boats at all. It was the mother calf pairing + one individual that we've seen several times now over the past month or so. The boats moved into the bay and the dophins stayed around for another hour or so before submerging and leaving me looking in vain for ten more minutes before I then gave up and returned home with more than enough pics in the bag. Happy days!


Play time, backwards over mother's back











No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.