Friday 27 May 2022

Strumble Diary 27/05/2022 Risso's on the Point

 An early session today with a 7.30am start. The weather was bright and sunny with a light NW wind. As I walked down toward my favourite perch I spotted some fins off to the east of the point but in the glare of the sun I wasn't exactly sure what they were. Certainly not porpoise but a dolphin of sorts. They continued east out of sight but I thought they may return as the ebb flow got underway. Sure enough some twenty minutes later these big fins came into view out of the shimmer and to my delight it was a group of Risso's dolphin. Not sure of the numbers as they were well spread and surfacing very eratically. I'd guess five in all but could even have been eight. Most moved through but a few remained in the area off the point for forty minutes or so. Only one porpoise came close but there were 15-20 feeding beyond camera range way out in the tide race with upward of a hundred sea birds in attendance above.



















 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.