Monday 20 March 2017

Another Awesome Strumble Day

A dreary morning and not a lot of hope at getting an early session in so it was a case of wait for it to clear. Clear it did and just before noon I headed off with pup in tow for Strumble. A strongish WNW wind was pushing the last of the flood flow and over the first hour or so I saw and captured several porpoise. As expected when the tide slowed so did the sightings but I always hope for those illusive Rissos to fill the gap. A couple from Penally near Tenby came into the lookout and a bit of local knowledge was passed on not to mention Leo the porp hound showering them with affection before they continued their walk to seek out seals etc.  Cliff, Rens and Laura arrived later in the session and over the hour or so they were there we spotted a few more porps as the ebb started to flow. They left and I jokingly said I was staying an hour or so longer for Risso time. Sure enough about 30 mins after they left as I was tracking a porp through the lens then that heart stopping sight filled the viewfinder as four large fins crossed the screen. "Risso Time". I tracked them for ten minutes or so before they went deep and was then lucky enough to cathch them again 15 mins later although by this time they had washed further down the tide race. The gent from Penally returned to inform me that they has seen two otters off the lighthous in Carreg Onnen bay. Just another day at my Strumble Office.