Sunday 23 July 2017

An Extract from Hebrides Whale & Dolphin Group Blog

The daily blog is written by volunteers on the yacht Silurian. Survey cruises are 7 or 10 days. This was so amusing I had to share it with Sea Trust fans. (I was also extremely jealous) #HUMPBACKWHALES So there we were holding flippers on our first date , we thought it would be a treat to go up the Minch & check out this rare sighting of the humans on their boat. our location was given away by a swooping gannet. Rather than scare them we thought we would get their attention by leaping out of the water & waving to them. It worked, it was magical they came right up to us...i looked one in the eye & it looked right back at me. I think it might be intelligent. We swam around the boat several times. We kept them on their toes by coming up when they least expected it, blowing and surfacing. We alternated sides, looking for identifying features. We checked out bearing, number of animals spotted & behaviour. My date dared me to show a bit of fluke, so i gave them a quick flash. I think they took some photos. I hope it doesn't go viral on social media , my mum will kill me. We caught a whiff of sweet potato & peanut stew, but we'd already been around for half an hour & we didn't want to disturb their feeding behaviour so we let them go on their way & headed North for some humpy times....