Monday 28 August 2017

Porthcawl Bank Holiday dolphins

What a brilliant Bank Holiday weekend. On Saturday I enjoyed the mega fauna trip on Cartelett Lady. This morning I went Porthcawl to do a cetacean survey. Bearing in mind that this is Porthcawl a porpoise sighting constitutes a good day. Sea state 1 with dog walkers everywhere. I set up my scope, recorded the environmentals and started scanning with binoculars from west to east. I had scanned a short distance when one dog walker said to another there it is again LOOK. She was pointing to a common dolphin only about 100 metres offshore. YIPEE. It was swimming east and was soon lost to my view but was obviously showing well as people were pointing out to sea. Another common dolphin then appeared in the wake of a small fishing boat. This one headed offshore where it was joined by a female with juvenile alongside. These three kept heading offshore until they were too far out after 1/2 hour. I finished my survey with a single porpoise.