Monday 9 October 2017

Ken's Back and the Risso's came to see him!

I arrived shortly before Ken, and  was searching hard for any sign of a Porpoise as the tide dithered at the beginning of the ebb.
I caught sight of a distant seal eating a fish in the beginning of the tidal flow and whilst I was watching it a porpoise popped up. Ken was soon onto it and then he spotted another closer, off the Mackerel Rock. As I searched for more I spotted the distinctive dorsal's of a tight pod of Risso's'
Yowsa! they were distant and I spotted another small pod, probably 8-10.
I was talking to some local fishermen at the weekend who told me that they had started to get squid eggs on their pot lines so I was hoping that was a good omen for the Risso's return. Squid are the main prey of Risso's, so Sea Trust adds more to the knowledge base yet again!
I am sure Kens pic's will be much better but here's a taster!