Saturday 18 November 2017

Strumble 17-11-2017

A late entry posted saturday 18th.

Yesterday was a disaster weatherwise with the light remaining poor all through the day. I did go for a morning session and I saw three porps in total but in the gloom the images were awefull. I returned in the afternoon in the hopes things may be a little better and although the light had perked up a bit the wind had gone to the NW, increased and was incredibly cold. All was not lost though and I did manage to get some shots of distant Rissos as they passed way out to the NNW and rounded the island heading off toward St Davids. Now you may have heard about the unusual Octopus sightings in New Quay in the past few weeks and we too have watched in amazement as the newly arrived seal pups have been gorging themselves on Octopus at Strumble. Time after time they are bringing them up and in a lot of cases feeding the cheeky gulls which strike when the opportuniy arises and rob the young seals of their catch and you may have seen the images I've posted with the gulls flying off with their booty. Yesterday I flicked the video switch on my camera (not something I'm given to doing often) and attempted to capture the action. The seals obliged by bringing up the Octopus but the law of sod kept the gulls away except for one blackback which failed and was chased off by the seal. However it's a nice if short little record of what's going on at present in front of my office window and below is one of the clips I captured..