Thursday 15 March 2018

Porthcawl Porpoises in 2018

On Tuesday we at last had a weather window. After a wheatear in the morning at Southerndown I set out for Porthcawl. Sea state 2 good visibility and warm sunshine. I always start with a quick scan around with binoculars looking for anything obvious and then turn to the telescope and slowly scan. Well on Tuesday my quick scan produced a porpoise about 1/4 mile east of my position and only about 300metres out. Unfortunately it disappeared into the very strong glare. I continued my survey confident of lots of porps but saw nothing until the 58th minute of my hour survey. It was almost a repeat of the earlier sighting. Single porp and it too got lost in the glare. Never mind. Two porpoise sightings and a wheatear on the same day as early as 13th March was a result.