Sunday 8 April 2018

A Week on Skomer

I have just returned from a week volunteering on Skomer Island. Freezing cold but a brilliant week. We did a click count for porpoises from above the Garland Stone in poor conditions on Friday resulting in 46 clicks in 4 five minute sessions over one hour. We also had a very nice close encounter with a couple of porps as we crossed Jack Sound in the Dale Princess on the way home but of course the cameras were all packed away for safety. However, the highlight of the week for me was with a little girl of about 6 or 7. One of our jobs is to meet and chat to day visitors when they leave the island. Well I approached a lady and her daughter with the standard opening gambit 'had a good day'. Well mum prompted the daughter to tell me about puffins but she wanted to tell me all about the 'dolphins' that she had spotted. She was so excited it was lovely to share her thrills.