Friday 24 August 2018

A Fine Feast

Time to get out has been scarce of late but I did manage a trip to the north breakwater on Tuesday last. Sadly no sign of the bottlenose but as I waited this Grey Seal popped up in front of me with a Pollack that would make any angler jealous. Easily 4-5lb in weight and probably more but what followed just made me laugh. As you can see in the images he had his eyes firmly fixed on me and the camera. Then like something out of a cartoon he slowly just sank under the surface. I waited and sure enough a few minutes later he slowly surfaced again and still with is prize in his mouth stared me in the eye and sank again. This continued for around fifteen minutes or so and each time he would slowly rise and then sink back down again. In image 4 I think he was showing me his prize as if to say "look what I've caught". I think by then the urge to eat it got the better of him and he started skinning it and then tearing into the flesh enjoying his bounty all the while keeping his eye on me up on the breakwater. A really comical but memorable encounter which will stay with me for a long time.