Thursday 27 December 2018

Porthcawl Porps

A last minute cancellation to my plans for the day caused a rethink. A shame to waste flat calm seas so I decided on a shorewatch. I got to my watch point by 10.55 and found near perfect conditions, sea state 1, moderate swell and enough high cloud to prevent glare but giving a very good light. My first scan with a telescope revealed a small group of gulls about 1 1/2 miles out circling. After a while a dark shape appeared beneath them. Was it a fin? Keep looking. YES a porpoise. After 2 blank sessions this was a result. I kept scanning the whole area but returning to check on MY porpoise. 30 minutes later having confirmed that it was still there I found another about 1/2 mile east. Yippee 2 porps. Then 2 more further east again. 4 in total now. Finally in the bottom of my field of view black movement. 2 adults and 1 juvie swimming with mum. While 7 porpoise may be small potatoes for Strumble it is my best Porthcawl count this year.