Saturday 23 March 2019

Porthcawl Porpoises

It has been a long cetacean free winter in Porthcawl. 27th December saw the last sighting. A January survey in good weather drew a blank and the same in February. This morning saw calm seas, sea state 2, a light northerly breeze but a high swell. I got to my survey point overlooking Rest Bay at 08.40 just after high tide and as usual gave a quick scan with binoculars before reverting to the telescope. Within the first minute I was on a porpoise about 3/4 mile out and soon found another nearby. I remained on them for about 15 minutes while one gradually came nearer. I then checked the rest of the area and picked up a third about 1/2 mile further west so my total for the hour was three adults. A red throated diver flying west was a nice bonus. My first cetaceans of the year and if the weather forecast holds we may get a ferry survey in on Wednesday.