Saturday 14 September 2019

Strumble Diary 14/09/2019

Having missed the Rissos that were reported yesterday I was determined to give myself the best Chance of seeing them this morning. It was an early start, 8.15am at the lookout a third of the way through the slack water between tides. The tide race from the flood had died away and all was quiet. I spotted a few distant porpoise, too far off for images but at least they were around. I got talking to various visitors as the morning moved on and it was while talking to one chap I spotted a splash off to the west about a mile out. There they were. The three Rissos that have been around for a week or so but I wished they were closer.
   They soon moved out of sight and it was back to scanning around for any signs of life. Thirty minutes or so later another splash caught my eye this time off to the NNW again at around a mile. This time about six to eight Rissos and one very large animal was breaching and making the most enormous splashes. They too soon passed through and it was back to watching the now well formed tide race for porpoise. A few came through reasonably close and I was delighted to capture our most prolifically sighted porpoise we know as Denty. As the tide race died away I did too and made my way home for a nice cuppa.