Sunday 20 October 2019

Strumble diary: stormy Porp's

A late afternoon visit to Strumble with the tide dropping and a north easterly gale. The sea was something of a maelstrom and i did not much fancy our chances of seeing any porpoises. As such, it hardly seemed worth getting out of the wind buffeted car so I scanned the halfheartedly foaming breakers more in hope than expectation.
But surprise surprise a shaft of sunlight illuminated a wave crest as a couple of Porpoises surfed below and then broke the surface. I was still convinced i was probably wasting my time but several more sightings and then a gang of half a dozen chasing each other splashing and slashing through the tide ripped sea made me realize that i should get out of the car with the camera and try and get a shot.
Unfortunately they were moving past on the tide and further away. Loads of action with groups of up to ten briefly showing in the foaming wave caps, it was incredibly frustrating trying to get anything in my lens. Its a minor miracle i got anything at all so i am not going to apologize for my sad pic's!