Monday 18 May 2020

Adventures with Sea Trust



I met Cliff Benson some 14 years or more ago when I joined a Sea Trust Dolphinathon on the Fishguard Rosslare Ferry. I have been a keen birder all my life and had been quite interested in cetaceans but that trip, on which we saw Common and Rissos Dolphins, really got me hooked. I subsequently joined Cliff on several pelagics on the Cartlett Lady and the Celtic Wildcat and found that here was an opportunity to see sea birds close up and get amazingly close to the numerous Dolphins and Whales which abound in Pembrokeshire's rich waters.

Within a year or two I found myself helping Cliff with the accounts for Sea Trust and organising the Pelagic trips. The organisation could be frustrating with so many fully booked trips cancelled due to bad weather. Many did go ahead, however, and over the years I was fortunate enough to join Cliff and Sea Trust on many pelagics. As nature is totally unpredictable some trips were better than others but I can't recall a trip where we didn't see at least a few Common Dolphins though usually several hundred would be seen in the course of a long day out. 


There were many outstanding trips with great views of large pods of Common Dolphins, Rissos Dolphins, Bottlenose Dolphins, Minke Whales and Fin Whales and even a Thresher Shark as well as thousands of Manx Shearwaters, diving Gannets next to the boat and more unusual birds such Sooty and Great Shearwaters, Storm Petrels, Grey Phalarope, Skuas and of course the spectacle of over 30,000 pairs of Gannets on Grassholm – a sight and smell never to be forgotten!

I have been a keen photographer for many years so as well as seeing all these amazing creatures I have amassed quite a library of Cetacean and Sea Bird photos. I stopped organising the trips some years ago but still manage to get out on one or two trips most years and try to keep my hand in at the challenging art of photographing rapidly moving creatures from a moving boat that's bouncing up and down! A few favourite photos follow and my collection of Pelagic photos can be seen at https://www.richardcrossenphotography.co.uk/pelagics

Thanks Cliff for all those great trips and the inspiration you have given me and many other people!

Rich Crossen