Monday 25 May 2020

Sea Trust Volunteer and Proud Of It


  It was lovely to read the posts from Steve Rosser about his time volunteering with with Sea Trust so having been asked to make my own contribution I'll do my best to introduce myself and give you a flavour of what I get out of being a volunteer. My name is Ken Barnett. I was born and raised in Goodwick north Pembrokeshire and for a good portion of my life have been involved with the sea in some way. From swimming in it, diving in it, boating on it, working on it and for the past several years watching the various mammals that live in it. The following is the story of how I became involved with Sea Trust and the enormous benefit I've derived from the experience and which I hope they have too.


One Lucky day

  One aspect of this prolonged lockdown period is the chance to reflect on the recent past and to realise how lucky I’ve been over the past several years. Apart from all the usual family high spots like seeing my grandsons becoming their own characters and sharing in my daughter’s successes as her career progresses, there’s been one stroke of luck that started a whole new chapter in my life.

One single image

  Those who know me will know of my passion for photography and my love of all things Pembrokeshire related in that field, but after  many years of landscapes and sunsets to name but a few I was looking for a new challenge, so when a well known lens manufacturer produced an affordable long lens I jumped at the chance so that I could turn my attention to Pembrokeshire’s wonderful wildlife. My first thoughts on where to try it out were Strumble Head as I knew there would be all manner of sea birds there to challenge my skills. Indeed they did but a cursory glance out over the sea opened my eyes to a different prey. I saw at a distance what I took to be a large dolphin so naturally I took a shot of it. Just one as it soon disappeared beneath the waves. When back home I processed the image and was curious as to what it was. 




 
  A few days later I was at Strumble again and saw a chap who I knew to be Cliff Benson from Sea Trust but had never actually met, so with a little nervousness I approached him and told of my encounter a few days earlier. “Bring the image in to the Ocean Lab” he said, in his broad Yorkshire accent, which I naturally did. His eyes opened wide on seeing it and it was clear to me he was more than a little impressed. “That’s a Minke Whale” he exclaimed.  An interesting conversation ensued during which it became clear to me and him that I had a skill and a passion that would benefit my and Sea Trust’s interests.  “Can you photograph Porpoises” I was asked.  I’d give it a good go I replied, and so that one image ignited a flame within that has never dimmed and as well as a great new friendship has given me something that has enriched my life beyond words.

  In a short period of time the images got better and it was soon realised that this opened up a great opportunity to improve the data collection and to even set up a catalogue of identifiable porpoises. I was becoming more familiar with the rest of team Sea trust and was soon accepted as a regular contributor. A staff change led to the arrival of Holly Dunn who brought a new impetus and scientific approach to the collection of data. With our shared aims we hit it off right away and were soon working together to better understand the porpoise, their habits, behaviours and movements.  This work continues and with the catalogue of marked and identifiable animals now in the hundreds, and the largest porpoise register Europe wide putting Sea Trust firmly on the scientific map I am proud to have played a major part in it’s inception and it’s continued growth.

 
Expansion
  
  Things were going well and the Porpoise Fin Identification Project as it was now called was going from strength to strength  and with extra funding  volunteers were sought and new camera kit purchased enabling more data to be captured and different locations used. This brought out another of my skills as a trainer which had been acquired during my working days at sea with BR, Sealink British Ferries and Stena Line. I love working with people and passing on skills to them so this further enhanced the project and opened up the field of porpoise research to so many other people in the form of citizen science.


Volunteers doing survey work at Strumble.

Holly with volunteers at Ramsey sound.


Happy Days
  
I consider myself very fortunate to have the time to carry out regular surveys and am always happy when I’m out at Strumble Head or the north breakwater capturing the spectacle of the porpoise and dolphin as they go about their daily life. At Strumble though I’m in my element for as people from all over the world visit this beautiful spot more often than not they are curious as to what I’m up to. From TV celebs, the very young to the elderly from single walkers to large families and even a Himalayan Sherpa from Nepal who guides on Everest the one thing they have in common is their desire for a depth of information on the area they are visiting. An enrichment if you like over and above what the brochures tell them and an explanation of what they see in front of them. Naturally I'm always happy to oblige.

TV presenter Sean Fletcher bringing a smile to Holly's face.

In depth explanations of porpoise life at Strumble

Describing the tidal system to a large group at one of our open porpoise watches.




 
This is the ideal opportunity for me to impart some extensive local knowledge and give them a flavour of what wonderful things we see at Strumble and also to bring the existence of Sea Trust and it’s work to a much wider audience. Indeed many leave Strumble and head for the Ocean Lab to continue the experience. It is of course a two way street and I gain much from these encounters and feel on a high returning home most days.



 Days Afloat
  
For my own personal satisfaction and the activity that tests my photo skills the most it has to be our trips afloat on the Cartlet Lady. With salt in my blood the chance of a trip is never turned down. To be out in the deeps with hundreds and sometimes thousands of dolphins plus Porpoise, turtles, sharks, tuna, various sea birds and always the chance of Minke & Fin Whales I never tire of it. It’s from these trips that often some of my best images are taken and last year led to the production of my first Pembrokeshire Marine Wildlife calendar. The complete production run sold out with all proceeds going to Sea Trust with copies going as far afield as Canada and Australia. 



Myself (centre) with a group of interns and Cliff on our way out of the haven

On the flying bridge of the Cartlet Lady with Skipper Andy and our interns.

Paying guests without who's support the surveys would not be possible



One of the many superb oportunities these wonderful dolphins present.



Calendar cover of a stunning Rissos Dolphin standing 12ft proud of the water.



To Sum It All Up
  
The SeaTrust team are very special to me and I have made what I know will be life long friendships through my work volunteering with them. From pushing a paintbrush and helping with maintenance in the Ocean Lab to conducting surveys out on the coast I am proud to wear the T- shirt and call myself a Sea Trust volunteer.