Sunday 29 November 2020

Strumble Diary 29/11/2020 Score (Rissos 8 Porpoise 1)

 The title says it all really. A beautiful morning at Strumble today with slightly hazy sunshine and a light SE wind blowing offshore. The ebb tide was starting and I was looking forward to a good session. Things were looking slow at first with plenty of bird action off to the NE (mostly gulls) but not a lot happening on the fin front. A long way out to the north I spotted the splash of a fast moving animal as it parted the surface. Closer study showed it to be a juvenile Rissos dolphin and as I scanned around a couple more were observed doing likewise. They were in company with an adult animal which is quite common for Rissos and further observation allowed me to pick up a close but separate group of a further four adults. I watched them for as long as I could before they went out of veiw beyond the island. Some time passed before I spotted a single porpise making it's way up against the tide but sadly it didn't come as far as the lookout and I didn't get a shot of it either. Mair and Hannah arrived for the Sunday survey with a further two volunteers so having completed a three hour watch I left the rest of the tide to them.

 










 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.