Thursday 12 September 2024

Strumble Diary 11-12th Sept 2024

 Two days, same conditions and same weather. Broken cloud and sunshine a strong NWly wind and a small tide with a very choppy sea. 

 11th.

I started my session at 9am with Mr John Rees at my side and watched and waited to see what might come along. There for the porpoise as always but secretly hoping for Rissos. 11am arrived and so did the survey team. It was an hour and ten minutes before we saw any action and that came in the form of a dozen or so commons crossing East to West in the choppy swells. It wasn't until ten minutes before the end of the session that Will (intern) spotted a single porpoise out to the NW. That was it! The survey team returned to the Ocean Lab but John and myself stayed on a further hour in vain hope more than anything else but to no avail.

12th

Again a 9am start but this time on my own except for the local birders making the most of bird movements in the NWly winds. It was 10.21am when I spotted a small group of several commons speeding accross in front of the lookout. In the choppy sea it was difficult to track them and I struggled to follow them in the lens. I did get some shots though so quite happy really. Fran arrived with the Thursday survey group and we did our best to scan the sea in front of us for signs of cetaceans. No luck though and after two fruitless hours the survey ended with our first blank sheet for porpoise in a long time. Tomorrow's another day though and I'll do it all over again, weather permitting of course.

Photos from the 11th







 

A couple of passing birds.




Photos from the 12th.













No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.