On the road down to Strumble I met Cliff who had spent a short time there and seen nothing of note. It was very early in the dropping tide so I wasn't expecting much at that time either, especially with the SE wind blowing off the shore. After parking up (09.20am) I walked down to the lookout and as I rounded the corner of the building I saw a Risso's a short way out heading West. A mad dash to get the camera out and not even bothering to set up the tripod I tried to get some shots. They were moving quickly with the tide so I got what I could before they went out of sight which was only a few distant shots. Two of them were tail slapping in unison, something I've not seen before making huge splashes as their tails slapped the water with a loud crash.
All was quiet then until about 10.45 when two Porpoise rose in front of me travelling with the tide. Again it was get a few quick shots before they too submerged and were not seen again. Only time to capture one of them, sadly. The Tuesday survey team of Andy, Ruby and John arrived and we watched over the tide race and beyond for the next two hours and sadly didn't see any further action. Lovely to see the Risso's back though having been absent since last October.






No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.