Friday 22 May 2015

Strumble diary 22/05/15. Blood in the water- Shark Attack on porpoise???

We went to Strumble this afternoon to supposedly meet up with members of the Pembrokeshire Tourism and show off our porpoises but sadly only the porpoises turned up! Or perhaps not only porpoises... Several porpoises were in the rough water of the tide race quite a way out when suddenly I noticed a lot of white water as something biggish appeared to be thrashing about on the surface it was too far to tell what the something was but it looked quite violent. I moved over to our Telescope but the main action seemed to have stopped although what looked like the head and shoulders of an adult porpoise were moving as if held up by something beneath pushing it along. It appeared and disappeared a couple of times and I thought I made out a red stain in the surf just before it finally went down below the surface. It is difficult to be absolutely certain but I think what we witnessed was a porpoise being attacked by some other animal and held in its jaws until it was dead sufficiently subdued to be swallowed beneath the surface. Of all possible /likely candidates the only one I can think of that could do this without showing much of itself would be a large shark...
It took a while for the events to arrange themselves in my mind but I am 90% certain that's what we witnessed. There were lots of porpoises around but they were really not showing much the only shot I got was some time later of this surfing porp at distance...




http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-32886922