Monday 14 March 2016

Strumble Diary 14/03/16

Following on from Cliff's previous post in much the same theme my images today show how we can use the gulls as an indicator to where the Porpoise may surface. It was interesting to see that the gulls seemed to be tracking the porps even from sitting on the water. There would be a gull or two sat on the water and they'd suddenly fly perhaps a hundred feet or so and land again and sure enough a porp would appear close by. They would settle there and a few minutes later take off and do it again and again a porp would appear. This would go on over quite a distance and it's as if the gulls knew where the porps would pop up next. In general the session had a slow start and it took me a while to get my eye in after a short break. A half hour in and they started showing quite well with several porps feeding well on the edge of the tide race. I waited a while after Cliff had left and eventually left there myself just on high tide.