Wednesday 6 July 2016

Strumble Diary 5/7/16

I think it's been about twelve days since I was last at Strumble but it seems a lot more. With a busy few months on the cards I have to grab an hour here and there as I get the time. Today it was around 12.50'ish about three hours before low water which in the past has been quite an active period. Well it seems the porps have changed the timetable without consulting me. With a good flow going when I arrived there was nothing to be seen. Ten minutes in and I spotted a lone porp swiming down with the flow so I popped off a shot and that was it for quite a while. About 45 mins later I was about to give up with my one shot in the bag when I saw four Gannets off Mackerel point being very attentive over a small area. Sure enough at first one then a couple more porps showed up and fed quite happily just outside the fast flow for an hour or so. One of them I fancy is one we've captured before with distinct fin markings. With no other sightings I decided to call it a day at about 14:45.