Friday 13 October 2017

Strumble Diary 12/10/2017

A belated entry for yesterday's session. My visit coincided with the topping of the flood tide so I was not expecting a great deal of action as this is normally a quiet period. However, it was and interesting session. Adrian was in situ when I arrived and informed me of some 85 Common Dolphin that had been showing all be it too distant for even my long lens. At first I concentrated on what porpoise were there and still showing in the tide race. As time went by several Commom Dolphin came in just beyond the tide race at about 3/4 mile or so and I was able to capture some record shots. My attention was then taken by what at first I thought was a Cormorant close in but on closer inspection turned out to be a late season Ocean Sunfish and a rather large one at that. I certainly have not seen one so late in the year and could this be another sign of our warming seas. Normal service resumed after that and as I was joined by Holly, Adrian and Anthony we caught the start of the action on the turn to the ebb tide before I had to pack up and leave.