Wednesday 28 March 2018

Strumble Diary 28/03/2018

A day to remember.
 The winter days can be long and grey and lord knows I've seen and moaned about many of them this winter. Today though was one of those days we long for and rejoice at natures spectacle as all the elements come together in one precious hour in one of the most beautiful locations in the country.  The tide was flooding and with the wind from the NW pushing the swells up it was looking good. The sun was intermittent but the light was good and now all I needed was the tide race to form and the porpoise to move in.
    At first it was just the odd porpoise moving through and as time went by I thought it was to be another average day watching and waiting. Indeed I was thinking of things I needed to do back home and nearly called it a day. Then they came. First two then several more seemingly out of nowhere and before I knew it,  it was porp soup but the condensed variety. Usually they would split up and forrage across the tide race but today they seemed to be intent on feeding quite tightly together in an area about 300mtrs off and about 800mtrs wide. 
    Spring was in the air and so were some of the porpoise with me seeing at least five breaches and managing to capture a few on camera. They were dashing this way and that sometimes barely avoiding each other but what a spectacle. After the wildest hour I've had out there for a long time and with over 400 images on the card I decided to leave them to it as I knew there were a few hours worth of processing to be done back home. As a bonus one of the porps was a marked and returning animal I had seen a couple of weeks back.  What a day!!