Friday 30 March 2018

Strumbling with Rhi'



Rhi Till

11:07 (6 hours ago)


to me
Was great to see you all at the Ocean Lab and to hear that a busy schedule ahead.
I headed up to Strumble around 1pm ish and spent a happy few hours walking and observing.
Initially, was just the odd auk- bobbing cormorants aplenty. A passing peregrine ,diving towards the lighthouse. Noisy oystercatchers and gulls shaking their tail feathers.Then the gannets, my excitement rose!
Towards Pen Anglas, two fins popped up...porpoise in my life again! They moved back n forth towards the orange buoy,before I lost them.
I was then joined by a lovely couple from Windsor who'd already been to the Ocean lab. On cue, a couple of porps twelve o'clock ,maybe 300 metres away. I shared my bins and was fab to see them share my joy.
Having gone for a wander, I made that fatal mistake as I just got back to the car...one final look through the bins. You guessed it, porps ...feeding close in just beyond the observation post. I grabbed my jacket and raced back down.
This time a local lady and two children were watching two seals below the look out,they'd  not seen the porps.
We weren't  disappointed though, from 4.30 ish for half an hour we watched several feeding in quite a frenzy, joined by gannets,gulls and cormorants all wanting a piece of the action. I was in heaven. They worked back n forth in a square twelve o'clock  again, some just beyond the rougher water, a couple more closer in ,just on edge of tide race.  They co-ordinated their efforts and seemed to pay off. Two more were moving away towards the orange buoys again off Pen Anglas.
I was clicking camera, but battery died. Will know tomorrow if I got anything...yes, rookie mistake-me Abergwaun, charger Caerdydd! I need a better device, my Canon doesn't  quite pull them in enough.
Still, was a delightful showing and shared bins with three excited Strumble admirers for the second time in an afternoon.  The two youngsters reminding me how fresh eyes see things my ageing  ones miss. Great day, diolch Strumble.

See you again soon Gang,
Rhi
Xxx