Saturday 8 September 2018

Strumble Diary 08/09/2018

A dull rainy morning but with a promise of better later. I'll settle for that I thought. True enough after lunch the skies started to clear a bit so it was off to Strumble. I knew I wasn't going at the best time for the tides but I don't need too much of an excuse to visit my second home. As I arrived at the car park things didn't look too promising with poor visibility and poor light as well. A quick look through the binos though and all those irritations dissolved as I saw several common dolphin to the west of the lighthouse and they were heading my way. Out with the gear, then a dash down to the lookout and I was poised and ready. The gannets were my guide and sure enough they were getting closer but still a way out. I was hoping for a close show but although they passed by heading NE they were close enough for some shots but not for detailed shots in the prevailing light. There's no pleasing me honestly.
A long break after they went out of sight and then a few fleeting glimpses of porpoise moving through. I thought that would be it but shortly after a group of four came past moving west against the tide and they were closer so I rattled off a good few shots before they too moved on. On reviewing the images in camera I was delighted to see an animal I have captured before but it's been a long time since I've seen it again so it'll be over to Holly for the record and date of last capture.