Saturday 25 May 2019

Bottles!! Well,briefly.

Before heading to Strumble today I decided to go to the viewpoint at Harbour Village to scan over the bay for dolphins. The sea was calm and the high cloud kept the worst of the glare from the rising sun off the water. It looked like a no show again (been looking for days now) and then I spotted a disturbance in the water off the entrance to Aber Bach at the top end of the bay. It was a job to see if it was dolphin due to the reflections and slight glare at that distance but I thought it was worth a trip onto the breakwater just in case as whatever they were they seemed to be heading into the bay.
  On arrival nothing showing at all, just two small boats out of Lower town and a paddle boarder pushing up toward needle rock. I waited twenty minutes or so and still nothing. One more look I thought to myself and Bingo!! Right off the lighthouse two large fins raised in front of me. A dash for the camera and it was all go for the next five to seven minutes.
  It was a brief encounter but a joyful one as it was my first for this year. Possibly two adults and a calf but certainly a mother and calf. They didn't stay around for long but I managed some good ID shots and possibly the escape of the month for one lively fish (see below).
  It was then on to Strumble and with us being on middling tides the race was a weak affair but nonetheless the porps were there. The calm conditions meant I could see a good number out at a distance and in the main that's where they stayed. Some did eventually move closer so I did manage some images but no marked animals today.

















The three image sequence above shows what could be a very lucky fish that hurled itself clear of the water in an attempt to escape the jaws of death.