Friday 4 October 2024

Strumble Diary 04/10/2024

Another dry and bright morning at Strumble today. As I drove along I could see a lot of bird activity out over the sea. When I arrived it was plain to see that there was a big feed going on. Closer inspection with the binos made me aware it was a bait ball feed with many many commons and hundreds of gannets joining the party.  

As time went on more and more dolphins came in from the west and east at great speed eager to join the feast. The feast lasted for three hours+ before it all calmed down way out to the NE. A quiet period followed before the first porpoise sighting. The numbers were good and reminded me of the surveys years ago where we had wave after wave of porps coming up the tide race. I'd estimate twenty or so for the session so very happy coming away today.
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.