Tuesday 19 April 2016

Strumble diary 19/04/16

The "Porpmeister" will be pleased with today's results I'm sure.  Calm sea a light easterly wind and the ebbing tide meant the porps would most likely be off the island and sure enough just after arriving I saw a couple of porps about 80 metres out. I made my way to the headland just short of the island and set up my gear. On the first shot I spotted a porp I'd seen before. Very distinctive due to the stunted fin due to a prior injury. My previous encounter with this porp was on the 1st of March and it was showing it's left side travelling east to west. This time coming up the race from the west it was showing it's right side with a distinctive white scar along it's flank.
      I was able to take several shots although not as close as I would have liked but it's a good record all the same and proves that these animals are frequently using Strumble as a feeding station. There were around four animals there all together and as the flow of the tide receded so the porps moved off to the west.
Jumping Jehoshaphat!!! you are making history  Ken!!!!..Porpmeister 

A tightly cropped image to show the detail.