Monday 23 October 2017

Rissos Still Around

A morning session at Strumble today at the start of the ebb tide. Chris Grayell was already in situ and reported seeing several Common Dolphin and a Rissos earlier in the day.  As  I was setting up he spotted some more out beyond the tide race. I was soon onto them and we watched them for several minutes as they moved West to East. A pod of around eight individuals split into two groups about 100 mtrs apart. Volunteer Anthony turned up but soon after the weather closed in and viz was down to a couple of hundred metres or so. The murk moved out then back several times making sea watching very hard. On a couple of occasions I did spot a further two large Rissos moving in from the West but no pics of them I'm afraid. Porpoise were very scarce with only four being sighted for the whole session and just passing through surfacing once and then gone. I left at 2pm having seen nothing more for the past hour.