Tuesday 8 May 2018

Strumble Diary 08/05/2018 (1st Risso)

With a dreary morning coupled with very small tides I wasn't considering going to Strumble today but as the sun came out the lure of some fresh air and the chance of a sighting got too much and off I went. I wasn't expecting to see much in the way of porpoise and indeed that was the way it turned out with just three very brief sightings. What was exciting though was getting my first Rissos Dolphin of the year. Again only a brief sighting with just the one image and had I been looking 10deg in either direction I would not have seen it at all. Cliff had joined me by this stage and he also spotted a Rissos off to the west but we're not sure if it was the same animal that may have backed off with the tide flow. So please enjoy this first Risso image of  year and let's hope it's the first of many.


Haha, not the first Holly's Porp Fin team was there this morning...

holly@seatrust.org.uk

Attachments14:20 (8 hours ago)
to me
Hi Cliff

We had a couple of Risso’s pass through at Strumble during our survey today. They were very far out and the weather was very grey so not good pictures, but I got record shots for the blog. We also had around 40 porpoises feeding in the race throughout the survey.

Cheers

Holly Dunn
Citizen Science Project Officer
Sea Trust