Thursday 13 August 2020

Anything But a Common Day

 Not a Common day but a rather special one really. We often get dolphin in the bay and mostly bottlenose. However, today it was the turn of  the common dolphin to entertain us. I spotted some in the bay from Harbour village and went to the breakwater to investigate further. As I arrived there it seemed they may have moved on but a splash out toward the north gave their location away. Six or seven perhaps in a dash accross the bay toward Penrhyn and as I looked in that direction there were at least another fifty or so off the caravan park. 

They were grouped tightly and seemed to be feeding while working their way into the bay. I watched as they came further in and at one time it seemed as if the whole bay had dolphin all over. As a local fishing boat came in it was followed by several more dolphin. I was later joined by my Brother Mike, Holly and Lloyd and together we watched them for a couple of hours as they foraged in the harbour. I've never seen them stay that long in the bay (over four hours) and I'm sure people walking the inner breakwater were getting a good view too. I was hoping they would bow ride the ferry on it's departure but sadly that was not to be. I left around 3.30pm and from the quay wall I could see them heading out so I hope Lloyd and Holly who were still on the breakwater got some good shots as the dolphin bid us farewell for now.

 


















No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.